IN THE THIRTEENTH-CENTURY, THE DOMINION OF THE VALLEYS OF
ANDORRA was disputed by the Bishop of Urgel and the Count of Foix. By treaty
it was agreed in 1278 that the sovereignty over the principality would
henceforth be shared by the Bishop and the Count.
After the extinction of the house of the Counts of Foix,
the co-regency was continued by their successors in rights: from 1472 the
kings of Navarre and from 1589 the kings of France. Napoleon changed the
principality to a Republic in 1806 but left the condominium unaffected. The
presidents of the French Republic, as successors of the kings of France, are
also co-regent of Andorra. With an area of 465 km ², the Republic is the
largest of the five smallest states in Europe.
The coat of arms of Andorra is composed of the symbols of
the ecclesiastical power of the bishop of Urgel: mitre and crozier; and the
coat of arms of the Counts of Foix.
The original arms of Foix is Or, three pales Gules.
According to legend, the pales come from the (apocryphal) coat of arms of
Wilfred the Hairy (874-898), who would have drawn stripes on his golden
shield with three fingers dipped in his own blood. More likely, however, is
that the arms are a version of the arms of the counts of Barcelona to which
the counts of Foix would be related.
The arms Foix appears for the first time on the seal of
Roger Bernard II from 1229. 
Even before the Viscounty of Bearn came into the
possession of the House of Foix in 1290, Gaston I of Foix in 1281, on the
occasion of his marriage with the daughter of Gaston VII the Great of Bearn,
quartered the pales of Foix with the red cows of Bearn. 
In the fourteenth century a crest was added to the arms.
It consists of a cow’s head from the Bearn coat of arms between two rigid
wings (the so-called vols banneret) with the Foix pales. In this form it
appears in the armorial of the Heraut Gelre. .
On the epitaph of Jean de Grailly, Count of Foix († 1436) in the Celestine
Church in Avignon, the achievement is supplemented with a supporter: a green
dragon with the helmet with its crest over the head.  This achievement was used after the
extinction of the House of Foix with Frans Phoebus in 1483 by the heirs of
the title until at least the seventeenth century. It disappeared with the
provincial reorganization of France whereby Bearn and Foix became separate
(Foto H.d.V. 2007)
version of the arms of Andorra on the façade of the Casa de la Vall in
The date of this sculpture is uncertain
There are three versions of the coat of arms of the
Republic. In the eldest, the exact datum of which can not
be determined, but which must in any case has to be from after the marriage
of Gaston of Foix in 1281, the mitre and the crozier of the bishop are in the
upper half. In the bottom half on the dexter the cows of Bearn and on the
sinister the pales of Foix.
Andorra in the 19th and the first half of the 20th
Around around the middle of the nineteenth century the
order was changed. The episcopal attributes are now, still at the preferred
location, on the dexter
side of the shield. The sinister side is reserved for the
quarters of Foix and Bearn.  At the beginning
of the twentieth century, these arms are placed in a
cartouche, supplemented with a crown of a count and the motto: "virtus
unita fortior" (Unity makes strong).
Arms of Andorra in the version of ca 1950
Mitre and crozier in saltire in the first quarter.
In the third quarter the arms of the counts of Barcelona
After the Second World War, the dexter half was changed.
Mitre and staff came side by side in the first quarter. Below, in the third
quarter, came the pales of Aragon to symbolize the ties of the Republic with
Aragon. From the fifties, mitre and staff are no longer next to each other,
but the staff is placed per bend sinister behind the mitre. 
foto H.d.V 2007
Andorra on the façade of the Casa de la Vall in Andorra.
The cows in the fourt
quarter turned to the sinister. This version matches the version on stamps 1961-‘71
A first version of the arms without the crown occurs from
around 1960 onwards. Here the arms are placed on a cartouche and the cows in
the fourth quarter are turned to the sinister. The crown is missing but the
motto is maintained.
The latest version of the arms is identical to that of
1960, with the difference that the cows are now turned to the sinister. The
represented version in the head of this article hangs on the façade of the
new parliament building in Andorra. A similar version is, in color, in the
old parliament in the Casa de la Vall. The cows in the fourth quarter are red in a golden field.
foto H.d.V. 2007
The arms of the police of Andorra consist of an open book
of law charged with a sword upright with a crown of laurel. On the bordure is
the anme of the service: Ÿ POLICIA Ÿ
PRINCIPAT D’ANDORRA. On the car badge the arms are on an eight-pointed police
© Hubert de Vries Updated 2008.05.21; 2009-10-12; 2018-10-22
 1229 IX: Equestrian seal of Bernard II: A.: D’or, trois pals
de gueules. L.: Bernardi comitis Fuxensis.
Douët d’Arcq n° 662.
 1281VII 18: Equestrian seal of Roger Berard III: A.: ¼ de Foix et
Bearns. L.: S. rogerii B. Comitis Fuxi. Douët d’Arcq n° 666.
 Brussel KB, Ms 15652-56 Armorial
Heraut Gelre fol. 122 v°.
 Hefner, O.T. von: Die Wappen der ausserdeutschen Souveräne u. Staaten.
Nürnberg, 1870 p. 14, Taf. 29.
 Der Deutsche Herold, 1877, p. 67.
 Ruhl, J.M. Die Wappen aller Souveränen Länder
der Erde. Leipzig 1928, Taf. IX. Neubecker O. Wappen Bilder Lexicon. München,
1974. Hesmer, K.H. Flaggen Wappen Daten. Gütersloh, 1975. The arms of Andorra also represented on stamps and coins.