ANDAMAN & NICOBAR ISLANDS
The islands provided a temporary maritime base for ships of the Marathas in the 17th century. An initial attempt by the British to set up a colony in the islands was abandoned after only a few years (1789–1796). A second attempt from 1858 proved to be more permanent. The British used the islands as an isolated prison for members of the Indian independence movement.
The islands were nominally put under the authority of the Arzi Hukumate Azad Hind of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose. Netaji visited the islands during WW II, and renamed them "Shaheed" (Martyr) & "Swaraj" (Self-rule). On 22 February 1944 he arrived at Lambaline airport of Port Blair. The islands were reoccupied by British and Indian troops of the 116 Indian Infantry Brigade on 7 October 1945.
At the independence of both India (1947) and Burma (1948), the departing British announced their intention to resettle all Anglo-Indians and Anglo-Burmese on the islands to form their own nation, but this never materialized. It became an Indian union territory (UT) in 1950.
The emblem of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands is a logo composed of the Asoka-capital and the name of the territory in coloured lettering on a black background.
On fantasy-coins (2011) there is also an achievement:
Andaman & Nicobat Islands fantasy coin
Showing the achievement of the islands
Arms: A palm tree
Crest: A disk charged with a Dharma Chakra and two national flags in saltire
Supporters: Two sea lions
Title: ANDAMAN NICOBAR ISLANDS
Today there is also an emblem in the form of a seal: 
Emblem: Argent, three waves of the sea Azureand a palm tree on the dexter side Vert, in chief a sun radiating Or, charged with the national emblem and in base a shell Argent.
Surrounded with a ring of pearls and the caption of the name of the territory in Devanagiri an Latin script, separated by 2´4 sea cows (Sirenia - Tethytheria Paenungulata) proper
Æ See illustration in the head of this article
The coat of arms of the Andaman & Nicobar Islands shows the golden initials of the service on a red background, surrounded by the name of the service in golden lettering on a blue bordure. The arms are crested with the Asoka capital, being the emblem of India and is surrounded by a golden garland. Below is the motto of the republic in devanagiri on a red ribbon.
The Andaman and Nicobar Command (ANC) is the first and only tri-service theater command of the Indian Armed Forces, based at Port Blair in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, It was created in 2001 to safeguard India's strategic interests in Southeast Asia and the Strait of Malacca by increasing rapid deployment of military assets in the region. It provides logistical and administrative support to naval ships which are sent on deployment to East Asia and the Pacific Ocean. 
Seal: Gules, a base of four fesses wavy and the map of the Islands and the emblem of the Indian TRI-service Or in chief.
Caption: ANDAMAN AND NICOBAR COMMAND in golden lettering on a white ring.
© Hubert de Vries 2009-09-21. Updated 2009-10-16; 2020-07-31