DADRA & NAGAR HAVELI
Dadra and Nagar Haveli was a Portuguese colony, administered by the Portuguese Governor of Daman, from 1779 until 1954.
In 1954 it became an independent country administered by a body called the Varishta Panchayat of Free Dadra and Nagar Haveli.
Mr. K.G. Badlani, an officer of the Indian Administrative Service (IAS) was sent by the Indian Government as the administrator.
In 1961, when Indian forces took over Goa, Daman, and Diu, Mr. Badlani was, for one day, designated the Prime Minister of Dadra and Nagar Haveli, so that, as Head of State, he could sign an agreement with the Prime Minister of India, Jawaharlal Nehru, and formally merge Dadra and Nagar Haveli with the Republic of India.
The emblem of Dadra & Nagar Haveli is a logo. It shows a dark-green twelve-rayed sun radiant and the name of the territory.
© Hubert de Vries, 2009-10-01