DELHI

 

NATIONAL CAPITAL TERRITORY OF DELHI

 

 

 

HISTORY

HERALDRY

Delhi Police

 

Back to India

History

The Mughal Empire was ruled from Delhi from the reign of Babur (1526-’30). After the rebellion of 1857 it came under direct British rule. In 1911, Delhi was declared the capital of British India and a new political and administrative capital was designed by a team of British architects led by Edwin Lutyens to house the government buildings. New Delhi, also known as Lutyens’ Delhi, was officially declared as the seat of the Government of India and the capital of the republic after independence on 15 August, 1947.

The Constitution (Sixty-ninth Amendment) Act, 1991 declared the Union Territory of Delhi to be formally known as National Capital Territory of Delhi. The Act gave Delhi its own legislative assembly, though with limited powers.

 

Heraldry

The emblem of the Territory is a logo showing the Delhi Legislative Assembly (Old Secretariat) building of two symmetrical wings.

 

Till 1911, Calcutta was the Capital of India and the Legislative Council used to meet at Government House there. Pursuant to the decision to transfer the Capital to Delhi, the Old Secretariat Building was designed by E. Montague Thomas and its construction completed in 1912. The first sitting of the Legislative Council was held at the Chamber at Old Secretariat on 27th January, 1913.

 

Delhi Police

The emblem of Delhi Police is a coat of arms. It is:

 

Arms: Gules, the cypher DP Or and a bordure Azure the title Delhi police in english and hindi, written in latin and devanagiri script, Or.

Crest: The Asoka capital, being the emblem of India.

Garland: Branches of laurel, Or.

Motto: Satyameva Jayate in blue devanagiri script on a red ribbon.

 

 

Back to Main Page

 

© Hubert de Vries 2009-10-01