In the middle ages Bangka and Belitung were a part
of the empires of Srivijaya and Majapahit. Later it
was a part of Palembang Sultanate. The islands were occupied by the British
in 1812 and became a Dutch possession after the liquidation of Palembang Sultanate
in 1823 and by the Anglo Dutch Treaty of 13 August 1824.
Bangka and Belitung became administrative divisions of the Netherlands Indies
called Residentie Bangka en Onderhoorigheden and Assistent
After Japanese military
occupation in WWII, during which the territory was called Bangka Beliton
Ginseibu a Dutch Territorial Command Bangka and Belitung was established.
This was represented by the 7th KNIL Infantry Battalion. A coat of arms was
granted to the battalion by disposal Clg 7492/BS/35 of 11 November 1946. It
showed a sword upright charged with the Dutch Lion and he
cypher VII in base.
December 1946 a provisonal Council of Bangka was established. On 23 January 1948 Bangka, Belitung an
Riau were united into a the loose federation of Bangka, Belitung and Riau
(FABERI) as a part of the Federation of Indonesia (RIS). On 22 April 1950
Bangka and Belitung became a part of South Sumatera Province.
the Federation no national emblems or flags are known.
The Province of the Bangka and Belitung Islands
was provided for by decree No 27 of 2000 and was established on 21 November
The arms of the province show a disc charged with
a map of the islands: the sea light blue, the islands green. The disc is
surrounded by a garland and the legend PROPINSI KEPULAUAN BANGKA BELITUNG.
Motto: SERUMPUN SEBALAI. (The Meeting Place
of the Group).
ð See illustration in the head of this essay
Today Bangka and Belitung are controlled by TNI Kodam
© Hubert de Vries 2010-11-08 / Updated 2011-03-08