Bucovina comprises the largest part of the diocese of Siret, founded 1370. In 1386 the territory became the property of Hedwig, the daughter of Louis the Great of Anjou and Queen of Poland since 1384.
At the first partition of Poland it came to Austria in 1775 and was made a part of the Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria. In 1849 it came under the crown with the name of Duchy of Bucovina (Herzogtum Bukowina). For thsi duchy a coat of arms was adopted by decree of 9 December 1862. It is derived from the arms of Moldavia.  It is
Arms: parted per pale Azure and Gules, a bull’s head Sable, horned Argent, langued Gules between three six-pointed stars Or,
Mantle: Purpure, fringed and tasseled Or, lined Ermine and ducally crowned.
After WWI the population of Bucovine voted on the General Assembly in Alba Iulia of 28 November 1918, according to Romania historiography, for a union with the Kingdom of Romania.
As a part of the Kingdom of Romania the duchy of Bucovina received the name of Judeţul Suceava. A coat of arms for this province from the years 1922-1928 is:
Arms: Gules, a triple cross on a five topped hill, Argent between two lions rampant Or supporting a voievodal crown. 
These arms are derived from the arms of the city of Suceava.
By royal decree of 13 December 1938 the province of Suceava was granted an other coat of arms:
Arms: Paly of seven pieces Gules and Azure, a three towerd city-gate Or. 
The seven pales are for the seven departments of the province, the city-gate for the oldest capital of Moldavia after which the province was called. 3
After an ultimatum posed to Romanai by te Soviet Union the northen part of the province, with the former capital Cernauts (Czernowitz, Cernovcy) had to be ceded to Ukraine on 27 June 1940.
Until 1994 for the then called Cernovich Oblast a coat of arms was used based on the aems of Moldavia. This was:
Arms: Gules, a bull’s head Sable, horned and between a six-pointed star in chief, a five-petallled flower on the dexter and a crescent on the sinister, Argent.
On 16 December 1994 a new coat of arms, designed by Orestes Kryvoruchko, was approved. It is:
Arms: Per pale the dexter Gules, the gate of Cernovich city dimidiated Argent, in base a branch of laurel Or; the sinister Vert, three beach-nuts per pale Or.
Crest: A falcon Argent and a ribbon of the Ukrainian colours
Garland: Branches of beach Or, entwined with a ribbon in the Ukrainian national colours
* The arms of Cernovich were of the city-gate enclosing the Austrian eagle
© Hubert de Vries 2017-03-21
 Ströhl, H.G.: Österreichisch-Ungarische Wappenrolle. Stuttgart, 1900, p. 7.
 Cernovodeanu, Dan: Stiinta si Arte Heraldica in Romania. Editura Stiintifica si Encyclopedica. Bucuresti, 1977. 566 pp., 320pl. P. 486 fig. 6. These arms were published in:: Stemele Regatului Romaniei, judetelor si municipiilor, in culori, dupa originalele Comisiunei Consultativei Heraldice. Brasov, 1935. p. 3, n ° 58.
 Der Herold, 1940 p. A40.